Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 1:20 PM
Wow it is official I am in Kentucky! I am serving in a college town, but since school is out for the summer the town isn't as bustling but it is still busy. When we got here we found out that the Elders were teaching around 20 people several that are wanting to be baptized. So you can imagine our excitement. After going about 6 weeks without teaching much it is hard to get back into the swing of teaching someone that is progressing.
The ward is really cute and small. Yesterday at church there was probably a total of 50 members. A lot were gone because of the 4th. So far the responses from the ward has been;
• We are so excited to have Sisters in the ward, they just bring a different feel, The Elders were good but we just are so excited to have Sisters. (especially after they realize there is only 12 in the mission)
• So how was your apartment? Did the Elders leave it clean for you?
o We usually respond with "They did a good job, of course our standards are different so we have done a little cleaning and arranging stuff, but they did really well" We just laugh every time because it never fails everyone has asked us that question. ;~)
There is a lot of Less-Active/Part-Member work that is available in this area. It will be real exciting to see the ward grow and strengthen in their testimonies.
The people in Kentucky are real friendly. It is nice to be out of the wealthy area where people are either to busy to listen or not open to listening. Here people are neither to busy or closed. So that is real exciting.
So for the last 3 months us Sisters have been talking about having a Sisters Preparation Day. In fact this was talked about while I was serving in Clarksville with Sister Smith, so a little while ago. Well everyone just kept thinking that it was to much work to arrange it and that President would never approve. Well I had been praying that before all the rest of the Sisters start heading home that if it was possible to have a preparation day that it would work out. So I talked to Sister Hutchings and told her my idea and she was so excited and said that she would talk to President Hutchings and get approval for us. Well on Saturday June 27 (transfer call day) when we found out where all the Sisters were going to be I realized that all but one set of Sisters had the temple on the same day. So here was my chance. I called Sister Hutchings and presented my plan to her. She talked to President and after hearing the whole idea he APPROVED!!. So on July 15th we are all going to the temple and then we get to hang out with each other for a couple of hours. :~) it is going to be so fun.
I am excited about my new area. I am a little stressed at times but for the most part am having fun teaching and sharing the gospel.
Oh I almost forgot to share an experience we had. We had gone to the post office to mail a letter to the mission office and we also were out of stamps so we had to go to the counter. (President Hutchings has told us all to carry a Book of Mormon with us at all times wherever we go so that it can be used as a teaching moment when people ask you what you are carrying.) Well Sister Bird had set the Book of Mormon down on the counter while I was writing on the envelope. Well the lady picked it up and just started reading in the middle of the book. Sister Bird casually said "we read the bible as well". She responded with well then what is this, Sister Bird proceeded to tell her what it was about and how Lehi left Jerusalem and traveled to the America's. Well right there she turned to the first chapter and read the heading and then read several more chapter headings. We said that she could have it and she was super excited. So we are going to have to go back to the post office now and get some more stamps. :~) It was really exciting. The people are so reseptive here in Murray.
I hope you all have a fantastic week. Oh I almost forgot, can you believe it will have been a year!!! I can't, it feels like it has only been a few months. The time is flying by, good thing I have forever left. :~) I have way to much to accomplish before the end.
I love you all
Love Sister Cordon
The ward is really cute and small. Yesterday at church there was probably a total of 50 members. A lot were gone because of the 4th. So far the responses from the ward has been;
• We are so excited to have Sisters in the ward, they just bring a different feel, The Elders were good but we just are so excited to have Sisters. (especially after they realize there is only 12 in the mission)
• So how was your apartment? Did the Elders leave it clean for you?
o We usually respond with "They did a good job, of course our standards are different so we have done a little cleaning and arranging stuff, but they did really well" We just laugh every time because it never fails everyone has asked us that question. ;~)
There is a lot of Less-Active/Part-Member work that is available in this area. It will be real exciting to see the ward grow and strengthen in their testimonies.
The people in Kentucky are real friendly. It is nice to be out of the wealthy area where people are either to busy to listen or not open to listening. Here people are neither to busy or closed. So that is real exciting.
So for the last 3 months us Sisters have been talking about having a Sisters Preparation Day. In fact this was talked about while I was serving in Clarksville with Sister Smith, so a little while ago. Well everyone just kept thinking that it was to much work to arrange it and that President would never approve. Well I had been praying that before all the rest of the Sisters start heading home that if it was possible to have a preparation day that it would work out. So I talked to Sister Hutchings and told her my idea and she was so excited and said that she would talk to President Hutchings and get approval for us. Well on Saturday June 27 (transfer call day) when we found out where all the Sisters were going to be I realized that all but one set of Sisters had the temple on the same day. So here was my chance. I called Sister Hutchings and presented my plan to her. She talked to President and after hearing the whole idea he APPROVED!!. So on July 15th we are all going to the temple and then we get to hang out with each other for a couple of hours. :~) it is going to be so fun.
I am excited about my new area. I am a little stressed at times but for the most part am having fun teaching and sharing the gospel.
Oh I almost forgot to share an experience we had. We had gone to the post office to mail a letter to the mission office and we also were out of stamps so we had to go to the counter. (President Hutchings has told us all to carry a Book of Mormon with us at all times wherever we go so that it can be used as a teaching moment when people ask you what you are carrying.) Well Sister Bird had set the Book of Mormon down on the counter while I was writing on the envelope. Well the lady picked it up and just started reading in the middle of the book. Sister Bird casually said "we read the bible as well". She responded with well then what is this, Sister Bird proceeded to tell her what it was about and how Lehi left Jerusalem and traveled to the America's. Well right there she turned to the first chapter and read the heading and then read several more chapter headings. We said that she could have it and she was super excited. So we are going to have to go back to the post office now and get some more stamps. :~) It was really exciting. The people are so reseptive here in Murray.
I hope you all have a fantastic week. Oh I almost forgot, can you believe it will have been a year!!! I can't, it feels like it has only been a few months. The time is flying by, good thing I have forever left. :~) I have way to much to accomplish before the end.
I love you all
Love Sister Cordon
No comments:
Post a Comment